Friday, May 28, 2010

We Did It--ALL of Us

Hello everyone!!!!!


I am on my way home as I write this. I’m sure you all have heard some information about bargaining. I'm here to tell you that we kicked ass! SEIU-UHW bargained a contract that I believe is still number one in this nation. There is nowhere--and I repeat, NOWHERE--in this nation where you will find a contract that gets workers a 3%wage increase across the board, healthcare benefits that have 5 dollar co-pays and no premium for the employee or family member, and strong job security.

Let's all take time to think back to five years ago when the economy was booming and people were buying houses, refinancing homes, and opening businesses left and right--a time when everything seemed too good to be true. Well that all came to a crashing halt when the housing market fell and people lost their homes and jobs. When people lost their jobs they lost their insurance. Their livelihoods and that of their families were and for a lot still are a struggle from day to day.

In Stockton we were on 20/20 not to long ago because our unemployment and housing foreclosure rates are among the worst in the nation. We were up to 19% unemployment. We have been hit hard there in the CVA. But let me tell you this: in these bad economic times, SEIU-UHW has beaten all the odds and brought home to each and every member the best contract in this nation. We left with no takeaways and even raises despite the nation’s down economy. Everyday that I turn on the television I see the struggle out in the world. I have seen big employers fall and union members strike for better wages and benefits only to have their fight come to nothing.

I leave today tired and worn out from weeks of bargaining and little to no sleep this week but with my head held high and with peace of mind knowing that we--and I mean all of you when I say “we”--are looking at the best healthcare contract ever right now! We picketed, stickered up, and stood together to show that no matter who or what was ahead of us we were not going to lose!

I have told many of you that there is no way you would let anyone hurt your children or yourself on the street, that you all would fight to protect you and your family at any cost. You will never let someone hurt the ones you love. As I’ve said, if you choose to sit back and let it happen then it is on each and everyone of you that chose not to stand strong and fight for you and yours. Well, we had an awsome picket in Stockton and everyone purpled up, stickered up, and stood behind us. If it was not for you all taking a stand and backing up your bargaining team I truly believe that we would not have walked away with the three things that matter most to us: benefits, raises, and job security.

Five years ago Kaiser made more money then this year and last year, but at that time the former leadership that led bargaining walked away with less wages then this contract will end with and less altogether then we got today in this horrible economy. With that said I ask myself, why didn't the previous leadership in 2005, when Kaiser made way more money, fight for more then what we are getting today in these bad times? I leave you all with that question to answer for yourselves.

I am grateful and happy for what we as SEIU-UHW are walking way with today knowing that me, my family, and the members that I fought for and their families will be secure and hopefully less stressed knowing that SEIU-UHW won the best contract in our nation. I owe to each and every person including out leadership a thank you from me and my family. Because of your sleepless nights and dedication, me and my family are more secure. Thank you all--I did what I could but nothing would have happened without each and every member and leader in our organization.

One more thing: Don't sign anything that doesn’t say SEIU-UHW! You will lose all that we have fought for!

In unity !

Victoria De La Cruz

1 comment:

  1. Victoria,

    Nice to hear from someone who actually sounds like she appreciates working for Kaiser.

    ReplyDelete